Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Northern Lights At Last!

Tonight for the first time in years I was able to clearly observe the Northern Lights!  Ever since moving back to northern MN I have been keeping my on - SpaceWeather.com.  This site provides up to the minute tracking of geomagnetic activity and predictions for auroras.  Tonight their Aurora map looked like this.


I didn't want to get too excited as I knew a small winter storm was due to hit at some point tonight but when I got outside I could tell by the warm green light glowing through the forest trees that I might be in luck.


I jumped in my little green car and headed to Man Lake which I knew had some excellent vistas of the northern skyline.  The northern lights were beautiful.  Unfortunately, much of the detail was lost to the high level clouds marking the incoming weather.  Here is what I was able to do with a broken tripod, a cheap 50mm lens and a significant breeze.




The clouds were completely blocking the Auroras after about 30 minutes, but I was delighted with having had the opportunity.  One of my favorite memories of tonight will be of the Cass County Sheriff that stopped and chuckled at me in my pajamas taking pictures of the Northern Lights on County Highway 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment