Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Late Arrivals -

Birding around Cass County recently has begged the question - Where are the spring migrants?  While meteorologicaly you might not expect to see the birds of spring - what with snow, ice and freezing daytime temps, but phenologicaly the early spring migrants are a bit late.  I wasn't sure if this was just a "feeling" I had or if actual data backed it up, so I checked the Minnesota Ornithological Union (MOU) website and found my suspicions were correct.  Below is the data from the Arrival / Departures page on the MOU website - filtered for northern spring arrivals expected by today.  From this list I have seen only two of these species - Horned Lark and Northern Harrier


Horned Lark  2-Feb
Common Merganser  4-Mar
Sharp-shinned Hawk  7-Mar
American Kestrel  7-Mar
Common Grackle  9-Mar
Northern Harrier  10-Mar
Red-winged Blackbird  10-Mar
Ring-billed Gull  12-Mar 

Here are photos taken last year of a couple of those early migrants I am so longing to see!

American Kestrel - Cass County 2010

Red-winged Blackbird - noticeably absent from my list this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment