Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Shaggy Dog Story - a Shedding Coyote

In a ploy to combine my family time with my birding time I convinced my wife and son to join me on a trip to Federal Dam.  I fooled... errr... convinced them to join me by describing the playground I had discovered on recent excursions to this excellent birding spot. The Federal Dam Campground comes replete with all of the dangerous and potentially bone breaking equipment a child could ever hope for.  It even has Tether Ball Pole with a quite unnecessarily hard tether ball still attached.  (If Tether Ball were renamed today I believe it would simply be called Rope Burn and Concussion Conditioning. #thatwhichdoesn'tkillus!)

After much time shivering in the late April breezes and an embarrassingly exhausting game of basketball with my son - we headed home.  On the way home we stopped to gawk at this Coyote as seen on the East side of County Highway 8.

Coyote - Canis latrans


We spent some time discussing whether this creature was simply shedding a thick winter coat or if it had mange.  We all agreed that it was just shedding since new thinner fur is clearly seen in the patchy spots. My wife and I had also discovered three Timberwolf pups with mange the summer we worked for the Minnesota Conservation Corps in the Red Lake Wildlife Management Area.  It was very sad.

Just to be sure I googled "Coyote Mange", and learned a couple of things.  1. Gross (duh it is the internet) and 2.  So that is where the Chupacabra myths come from.  In all seriousness don't view the images of Coyotes with mange - some of the advanced cases are simply too disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment